SGG BIOCLEAN® is a dual-action self-cleaning glass manufactured by depositing a transparent coating of hydrophilic and photocatalytic mineral material onto clear glass.
This coating is applied online during the float manufacturing process by means of pyrolysis, ensuring a high level of durability.
SGG Bioclean® harnesses the power of UV rays present in daylight and rain to efficiently combat dirt and grime that accumulates on the outside of windows:
- Exposure to UV rays triggers the decomposition of organic dirt and causes the surface of the glass to turn hydrophilic
- Rain (or water) forms a sheet of water across the glass and rinses away the broken-down organic dirt and mineral materials.
Advantages of SGG Bioclean® glass:
- Less frequent cleaning: windows stay cleaner for longer.
- Save money: the cost of window cleaning is reduced.
- Much easier cleaning: dirt adheres less to the surface of the glass.
- Clear vision through your windows even when it’s raining.
- Ideal for hard to reach areas where cleaning may be difficult or dangerous.
- Less frequent use of detergents: helping to protect the environment.
- Neutrality and transparency is the same as conventional glass.The most neutral self-cleaning glass available.
How SGG Bioclean® Glass Works
Exposure to the UV rays present in daylight triggers the decomposition of organic dirt and causes the surface of the glass to turn hydrophilic.
Water (or rain) forms a sheet of water across the surface of the glass and rinses away broken-down organic dirt and mineral material.
SGG Bioclean® is designed to combat dirt that is deposited onto the exterior face of the glass:
- Dried water marks
- Organic atmospheric pollutants
- Sea spray
- Insect residues
The performance of the self-cleaning function can vary depending on the environment and the location of the glass, such as:
- The type of dirt
- The amount of dirt
- Total exposure to light and rain
- The incline of the window
Optimum performance is obtained when glazed in a vertical position with maximum exposure to direct sunshine and rain.
During dry spells or in shaded areas, Bioclean® still has the ability to clean itself more easily than ordinary glazing and may simply require a rinse with clean soft water to help keep windows clean.
SGG Bioclean® should never be considered as a glass which requires no maintenance. Bioclean cannot break down large areas of solid, mineral dirt such as cement, paint, varnish, silicones, etc.
View further details of Bioclean glass in pdf format.